Renew your license and choose eLearning instead of the traditional written test
That’s right! If you have to renew your license you may opt for eLearning and skip the written test. This is an ideal option for people who have trouble with exams or prefer an alternative learning method. eLearning is only available to those who have not yet processed an application at a DMV office.
What is eLearning
- This is an Interactive, No-Fail eLearning Course
- Instead of a taking the traditional knowledge test, customers renewing their driver’s license with a knowledge test requirement can choose to take an interactive eLearning course
- eLearning consists of seven interactive modules featuring educational videos that reinforce the rules of the road to improve driver safety, including short quizzes after each module
- If you don’t pass the quiz, simply go through the module another time and try again
- The self-paced eLearning course can be taken on a computer, laptop, tablet or mobile device and is available 24/7
- Currently only offered in English and takes approximately 45 minutes to complete
- After completing the no-fail eLearning course or online exam, customers may still need to visit a DMV office to provide required identity and residency documents, take a photo, provide a thumbprint, complete a vision screening and be issued a licensing document
- Everyone passes the written / knowledge exam
- No Failing with eLearning
- Convenience of taking the course at home
- Reduces number of transactions at DMV office visit
- Completing the course online and reduce the time to complete the remaining requirements at a DMV office.
Who is eligible
- Only eligible renewal noncommercial Class C driver’s license (federal noncompliant and REAL ID) applicants qualify for eLearning.
- Only available to those who have not yet processed an application at a DMV office
- Some applicants may opt for the eLearning / no-fail option!
How do I choose the eLearning option
- Complete the online driver’s license application (eDL44) at DMV.ca.gov
- If eligible, you will be invited to participate in the DMV Virtual Test Center
- Select “I want to complete my test through eLearning”
- Follow the application fee payment steps
- After you pay, you will receive a Virtual Test Center Access email with a link to the eLearning course and additional information
- If you do not see the eLearning option, you may not be eligible for this course
Additional details about eLearning
- OK to complete over multiple sittings
- Course available 24/7
- Complete course on personal computer, laptop, tablet or smartphone with internet access
- Everyone passes with eLearning – just finish 100% of the course
- When you finish the last lesson, eLearning will notify you that you completed the course and instruct you to visit the local DMV office to complete the other renewal requirements (vision test, payment, etc.)
What if I’m not eligible for eLearning?
- If you are ineligible for eLearning, study and be prepared to take the written / knowledge test
- Read the DMV handbook and enroll in Written Test Prep – Bay Area Driving School
- Knowledge prep classes are available online and in-person